KINSYS Software Download PAGE
INSTALLING THE KINSYS SOFTWARE:
A. DOSBox (recommended)
DOSBOX is a handy small program for running old DOS programs. Runs well also with the KINSYS programs.
1) Download the Kinsys software to c:\arpo (example folder name)
2) Download DOSBox
3) Locate DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat from the DOSBox installation folder and make it a desktop shortcut
4) Click on the shortcut (open file) and do the following changes:
a) [Dosbox]: memsize=64 (or higher)
mount o c:\arpo, where o refers to the previously mentioned c:\arpo folder
mount m c:\work, where m is the disk name of your analysis example folder c:\work. Define by letters as many mounts as you need.
Run any software from c:\arpo just like: o:cofecha
I like to use, instead of Windows Explorer, a handy file manager software called Total Commander for flexible switching between the DOSBox and W7 window features.
B. Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate (32 bit installation)
The software runs on a DOS window of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. But first download and install a 500 MB file from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/.
1) Download the Kinsys software
2) Save it in any directory defined in a PATH statement. How to do it? Navigate Control Panel->System and Security ->Programs->Advanced->Environment variables->System variables->click on PATH->Edit->Save.
(e.g. PATH=[the existing definitions];c:\arpo\;)
3) In order to run the software, just open a Dos window to the folder, where your data is located.
4) I prefer to use, instead of Windows Explorer, a very handy file manager software called Total Commander for flexible switching between the virtual DOS windows and the W7 operating system.
If not running a Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate OS, try one of the the following procedures:
C. Your system is XP or Vista and a genuine DOS OS (W98, W98SE, ME, NT) available
1) Download and install Microsoft's VirtualPC application (free)
2) Install your OS
3) Download the Kinsys software (updated 12-Oct-2018)
4) Save it in any directory defined in a PATH statement.
D. Other software
- Download the software and the test data. (zip)
- Check the principle from the poster Ultimate RCS Modelling Method.
- More detailed information coming.
- - -
The Fortran code of the KINSYS Software is available for those interested. If you want to know more details about this software and might be willing to update and develop it, please, do not hesitate to contact me (mauri.timonen at metla.fi).
Timonen, M. 2014. How to use the KINSYS software in a DOS environment/a>. Timonen, M. 2009. Header structure of a KINSYS/KS tree-ring measurement file. METLA/Rovaniemi Research Unit. 3 s.
Timonen, M. 2009. Header structure of a KINSYS/KS tree-ring measurement file. METLA/Rovaniemi Research Unit. 3 s.